DPH-setting in mk/build.mk (was: HEADS-UP: Git submodule conversion imminent)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Jul 1 09:19:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-30 at 08:45:57 +0200, Jan Stolarek wrote:
> Herbert, all,
>
> I just pulled the new HEAD and have a question which I believe was not addressed so far. In my
> work on the GHC tree I never pulled the dph subrepo because the only thing it adds for me is
> extra build time (of course I pull it for my validation tree because I have no choice). Now it
> seems that getting rid of dph is not that simple. If I `rm -df libraries/dph` then it gets
> restored after `./sync-all pull`. Running `rm -df libraries/dph/*` seems to prevent that but I
> imagine there will be problems if the dph submodule actually gets modified and I try to pull the
> latest version. Moreover in both cases `git status` lists the submodule content as modified,
> which I see as noise.  So is there a good way of removing dph from the
> source tree?

You probably haven't seen

  http://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/commit/88d85aa65ea15d984bf207f82d99928eda0b6c26

yet, which now provides a way to disable DPH via mk/build.mk

It may be worth considering setting BUILD_DPH=NO in some of the
quick-build templates in mk/build.mk, but I didn't want to change
anything w/o discussion here first.