A modest proposal (re the Platform)

Jens Petersen juhp at community.haskell.org
Thu Jan 23 10:13:44 UTC 2014

On 20 January 2014 17:29, Andres Löh <andres.loeh at gmail.com> wrote:

> (2) Simply because GHC 7.8 is itself so long delayed and so full of
> new features, I think it's realistic to assume that quite a few
> library glitches will appear even after it's released. Also, GHC bugs
> may be found only after formal release (despite all the hammering, the
> use of GHC pre release isn't quite comparable with the amount of
> testing it gets afterwards; IMHO, there might very well be need for a
> GHC 7.8.2). I'm all for trying to get an HP based on GHC 7.8 out as
> possible, but how soon would that actually happen, realistically?

I know I already said "+1" but this is also a very valid standpoint.
I guess the question is how long does HP
want to wait for a stable ghc-7.8 release?

There were already a number of important library updates
planned for the HP release with ghc-7.6.3 -
doing things more incrementally is also good I believe.
Also as Andres mentioned in view of Mavericks.

I know it is difficult but if ghc and haskell-platform could align
their schedules better then things might be easier to plan in the future.

Jens