Unit tests for GHC code?

Jan Stolarek jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl
Wed Jan 29 22:18:58 UTC 2014

Having an easy way to write unit tests would be great. I made an attempt to do this during my
internship (this wasn't merged):

https://github.com/jstolarek/testsuite/blob/0829be3a00eecfab0d7026c9a5dc18dc1d669a07/tests/ghc-api/CmmCopyPropagationTest.hs
https://github.com/jstolarek/testsuite/blob/0829be3a00eecfab0d7026c9a5dc18dc1d669a07/tests/ghc-api/CmmCopyPropagationTest.stdout

But that is far from a real unit test: results of many unit tests coupled together in one stdout
file, lots of boilerplate and reinventing the wheel. I would love to see the testsuite extended
with an easy way to write unit tests but I guess that might require some substantial effort.

> PS: I’m subscribed to the list, no need to send a copy to my private address.
This is typically done to alert someone that he/she has been addressed directly in a discussion. I
for example have my filters set in such a way that all ghc-devs mails are automatically marked as
read unless I am CC'd.

Janek