Releasing containers 0.5.3.2 -- before GHC 7.8?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 16:41:48 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if we can do a hackage release of 0.5.3.2?  That "splitRoot"
function is in there, and my ability to deploy parallel code that uses
containers depends on people getting it!  Are there any other changes since
0.5.3.1?

Replacing containers seems like a real pain for end users, so it would be
great if 0.5.3.2 could come with GHC 7.8.  Currently, it looks like the GHC
repo is up to date in that it includes 0.5.3.1.

I realize it is late days for this, but:

   - It's been a month since we put splitRoot in; I've been using it
   heavily and it I'm pretty confident that it's correct.  (It's so simple!)
   - Nothing else is touched, so there is very little liability associated
   with this version bump.

And, as you know, if we don't make this round it's a long latency before
the next chance.  That is, before we can expect people to do parallel folds
over Data.Set or Data.Map without installation headache.

Any objections?
  -Ryan