Folding constants for floats

Kyle Van Berendonck kvanberendonck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 13:05:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm cutting my teeth on some constant folding for floats in the cmm.

I have a question regarding the ticket I'm tackling:

Should floats be folded with infinite precision (and later truncated to the
platform float size) -- most useful/accurate, or folded with the platform
precision, i.e. double, losing accuracy but keeping consistent behaviour
with -O0 -- most "correct"?

I would prefer the first case because it's *much* easier to implement than
the second, and it'll probably rot less.

Regards.