Validating with Haddock

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 18:13:26 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 14:42, Austin Seipp wrote:
> Hi Mateusz,
>
> I remember your email and I believe I responded with the OK at the
> time - my impression was that it was ready to be merged and would
> shortly be done after that, but I didn't hear anything back about it.
> I apologize for my dropping the ball.

We contacted you because we thought it wouldn't be this much trouble
to get an OK from the validate process. The code was technically more
or less ready months ago, although Simon has been making some changes
here and there.

> As for your actual error - ghc-paths is only used in Haddock when it's
> not built in the GHC tree (as per the cabal file,) so I find it very
> suspicious that your package check is mentioning it at all (it's not
> mentioned anywhere else in any GHC sources.) Can you verify that it's
> there with `./inplace/bin/ghc-pkg list`? I'm not even sure how it
> could possibly get involved.
>
> Finally, can you be more specific about exactly how you tested these
> changes with your modified Haddock? I presume it was something like:

I had ran it on a as-is tree so that I could compare the results from
before and after I put my changes in. I had just ran validate
yesterday again (after sync-all) and I no longer get this package failure!

> $ ... clone ghc source ...
> $ cd ghc
> $ ... get extra stuff with ./sync-all ...
> $ cd utils/haddock
> $ ... use git to grab your code from github ...
> $ cd ../..
> $ sh ./validate

As I mention, it was on unchanged tree but this is how I'll do it when
testing the changes.

> But I'd like to make sure I know exactly what's going on. I can try
> testing your branch later today.

I think the original issue is now gone. I do get 8 unexpected failures
and about 11000+ skipped tests! Is this normal? Should I be filing
bugs? Should I create a separate thread? Can someone look at my log?
You can download it from [1], it's about 8MB. If GHC itself compiles
the test information into some files you'd prefer, please let me know,
I simply redirected all output from the validate script into a log.

[1]: http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/misc/validatelog

--
Mateusz K.