ticket for adding ARM backend to NCG?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 3 12:37:54 UTC 2014

| I've been tinkering with ARM NCG idea for quite some time now, but
| honestly I've been always in doubts if it's the best way for GHC at all.
| I've thought that the plan was to kind of move out of NCG to LLVM based
| backends and I've though that although this plan may be kind of stuck
| now, it's still on the table.

I have not been following the ARM and LLVM threads very closely, but here's my take:

* LLVM is (I hope) very much on the table. LLVM itself is a well-resourced project,
  and we can expect it to continue to exist.  We should piggy-back on all the
  hard work that is going into it.

* But using LLVM has some disadvantages.
  a) it imposes a dependency on LLVM
  b) it makes compilation slower
  c) we play some efficiency tricks (notably "tables next to code") that
     LLVM can't play (yet).  I think.

So GHC currently aims to have a built-in NCG for popular platforms, and to rely on LLVM for more esoteric platforms and also for superior optimisation.

Is this still a sensible policy?

Maybe you can articulate your doubts on the ARM NCG?

Simon