would support for kind equalities enable the following example?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Feb 25 11:50:11 UTC 2014

My question is: why do you want Eff to be a GADT? It's true that GADTs do not promote (currently), which is why your first example doesn't work. (It's not to do with kinds, exactly, but GADTs.) But, I don't quite see a reason for having a GADT there -- generally, when a GADT is really useful, no amount of defunctionalization will be a substitute.

GHC ticket #7961 is a place to make noise about this. My (with co-authors Stephanie Weirich and Justin Hsu) ICFP paper from last year ("System FC with Explicit Kind Equality") is part of the solution, and I was planning on submitting the other part of the solution (type inference!) for ICFP this year. Alas, that won't happen, but I believe I should be able to pull it together for the POPL deadline (July). So, there's somewhat slow but somewhat steady work in this direction, and I'm confident something will make its way into GHC before too long.

Richard