Typechecker plugins and 7.10

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:51:08 UTC 2014

As I'm referenced here, I'll speak up: yes, I think we should advertise that the plugin interface is purely a technology preview, and very subject to change. I'm sure that as users adopt this powerful new feature, they and we will discover ways that it could be improved, or perhaps ways that it can subvert GHC, or etc. In order to have a tighter feedback loop between devs and users, I think that updating this part of GHC between minor releases is appropriate, for the 7.10 cycle. Hopefully, a year from now, we'll be ready to stabilize and then offer a more concrete implementation for 7.12.

Of course, I'm curious to hear others' opinions on this!

Thanks,
Richard