Typechecker plugins and 7.10

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Fri Dec 12 08:50:51 UTC 2014

Hi Austin, devs,

I'm not sure what stage the 7.10 branch split and RC have got to, but if
possible I'd like to get Phab:D553 included (my special pleading is that
it makes relatively small, self-contained changes that will make it
slightly harder to shoot oneself in the foot when writing a plugin). I
realise you have to say "no" at some point though!

More generally, at Richard's suggestion I propose that (at least for
7.10) we explicitly make no guarantees about the stability of the
TcPluginM API, and advertise that we may choose to make breaking changes
between minor GHC releases. After all, this feature is highly
experimental and tightly coupled to GHC itself.

All the best,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant