docker GHC image for hacking

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:25:37 UTC 2014

Hello,

> Hacking on GHC for the first time is death by a thousand cuts.

> Any one part of the process is not that bad, but as a whole the process is
> very cumbersome for someone new.

With the docker image, would it be possible to distribute pre-built
versions of the GHC source tarball? Maybe phabricator could do this? The
biggest overhead for me always is that compiling the source the first time
takes something like 2 hours (even without optimizations) on my machine. If
there was a pre-built version, I could just change one file and only
recompile what I changed.

--
Benno