Linker change in GHC 7.8 leads to widespread issues

Miëtek Bak mietek at bak.io
Wed Dec 3 18:53:22 UTC 2014

I agree, and I’m hoping to help improve these matters with my project, Halcyon (https://halcyon.sh/).

Halcyon allows all build-time and run-time dependencies of an application to be explicitly declared and installed with a single invocation.  This builds on the great work done recently in Cabal to get us `cabal freeze`, and works around many long-standing Cabal issues, such as the inability to automatically install missing build-tools.

Halcyon can also be used to restore entire Haskell installations in seconds, and supports GHC versions including 7.8.3, 7.8.2, 7.6.3, 7.6.1, 7.4.2, 7.2.2, and 7.0.4.  Hopefully, being able to swap GHC versions in and out, without needing to have them on disk, should help lessen the amount of work needed for comprehensive testing.

I am currently putting the final touches on my project before announcement.  Please let me know what you think.

--
Miëtek