Linker change in GHC 7.8 leads to widespread issues

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Dec 3 18:50:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2014, 12:03 +0000 schrieb Simon Marlow:
> > text-icu.
> > https://github.com/bos/text-icu/pull/9
> >
> > FWIW, I’m in favour of fixing this at the Cabal level.
> > https://github.com/haskell/cabal/issues/2207
>
> I'm actually rather surprised we got away without doing this up to now.
>   Why haven't there been more complaints?

Debian, for example, hasn’t started using GHC-7.8 properly yet, due to a
combination of (at first) „let it settle a bit due to the new dynamic
linking scheme“ and (later) „we cannot tackle this this close to the
Debian freeze“ and a bit of „these unresolved build problems on arm look
scary, let’s wait and see if the are resolved automatically“.

(Not sure if there is a conclusion to be drawn here.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner