Can Phabricator be made to understand git better?

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 11:01:05 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-10 at 12:17:56 +0200, Johan Tibell wrote:

[...]

> First, doing that was in itself a bit of a pain. 'arc diff' didn't do the
> right thing and included some random commit(s) instead of my single commit
> in my feature branch. Perhaps it tried to diff against origin/master or
> something, which doesn't make any sense if you know how git is meant to be
> used (doing that would imply that you have to constantly sync with upstream
> to create a patch.) I eventually got it to used the right commit by doing
> 'arc diff <commit id>`.

While this doesn't answer your question (I'm looking forward to Austin
chiming in to answer as I'd like to understand 'arc diff' better
myself), I've been using

  arc which

myself before performing 'arc diff's to reduce my surprise/confusion
about which commits 'arc diff' will effectively pick.

HTH,
  hvr