Building GHC under Wine?

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 03:14:46 UTC 2014

On 07/16/2014 12:55 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I feel sorry for Simon always repeatedly stuck with an unbuildable tree,
> and an idea crossed my mind: Can we build¹ GHC under Wine? If so, is it
> likely to catch the kind of problems that Simon is getting? If so, maybe
> it runs fast enough to be also tested by travis on every commit?
>
> (This mail is to find out if people have tried it before. If not, I’ll
> give it a quick shot.)
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> ¹ we surely can use it: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC_under_Wine

Perhaps this is a bit off-tangent but few months ago there were some
commits landing to the nix package manager which allow you to run tests
in a Windows VM. It was created to run tests for things like
cross-compiled packages but it probably could be adapted.

If you don't mind actually installing Windows (in a VM) and have nix
already/plan on using it then that might be a more preferable workflow:
create a nix expression that builds a validates GHC in the VM and spits
out the result.

It's just something I thought I should mention in case anyone was
interested.

--
Mateusz K.