Perf regression: ghc --make: add nicer names to RTS threads (threaded IO manager, make workers) (f686682)

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 14:42:07 UTC 2014

On 06/08/2014 21:40, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
> I think I know what happens. According to perf the benchmark spends 34%+
> of time in garbage collection ('perf record -- $args'/'perf report'):
>
>    27,91%  test  test               [.] evacuate
>     9,29%  test  test               [.] s9Lz_info
>     7,46%  test  test               [.] scavenge_block
>
> And the whole benchmark runs a tiny bit more than 300ms.
> It is exactly in line with major GC timer (0.3s).

0.3s is the *idle* GC timer, it has no effect when the program is
running normally.  There's no timed GC or anything like that.

It sometimes happens that a tiny change somewhere tips a program over
into doing one more major GC, though.

> If we run
>      $ time ./test inverter 345 10n 4u 1>/dev/null
> multiple times there is heavy instability in there (with my patch reverted):
>      real    0m0.319s
>      real    0m0.305s
>      real    0m0.307s
>      real    0m0.373s
>      real    0m0.381s
> which is +/- 80ms drift!
>
> Let's try to kick major GC earlier instead of running right at runtime
> shutdown time:
>      $ time ./test inverter 345 10n 4u +RTS -I0.1 1>/dev/null
>
>      real    0m0.304s
>      real    0m0.308s
>      real    0m0.302s
>      real    0m0.304s
>      real    0m0.308s
>      real    0m0.306s
>      real    0m0.305s
>      real    0m0.312s
> which is way more stable behaviour.
>
> Thus my theory is that my changed stepped from
>    "90% of time 1 GC run per run"
>    "90% of time 2 GC runs per run"

Is this program idle?  I have no idea why this might be happening!  If
the program is busy computing stuff, the idle GC should not be firing.
If it is, that's a bug.