Core libraries bug tracker

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 4 15:00:53 UTC 2014

Edward, and core library colleagues,
This came up in our weekly GHC discussion

*         Does the Core Libraries Committee have a Trac?  Surely, surely you should, else you'll lose track of issues.

*         Would you like to use GHC's Trac for the purpose?   Advantages:

o   People often report core library issues on GHC's Trac anyway, so telling them to move it somewhere else just creates busy-work --- and maybe they won't bother, which leaves it in our pile.

o   Several of these libraries are closely coupled to GHC, and you might want to milestone some library tickets with an upcoming GHC release

*         If so we'd need a canonical way to identify tickets as CLC issues.  Perhaps by making "core-libraries" the owner?  Or perhaps the "Component" field?

*         Some core libraries (e.g. random) have a maintainer that isn't the committee.  So that maintainer should be the owner of the ticket. Or the CLC might like a particular member to own a ticket.  Either way, that suggest using the "Component" field to identify CLC tickets

*         Or maybe you want a Trac of your own?
The underlying issue from our end is that we'd like a way to

*         filter out tickets that you are dealing with

*         and be sure you are dealing with them

*         without losing track of milestones... i.e. when building a release we want to be sure that important tickets are indeed fixed before releasing