Phabricator updates

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Mon Aug 4 12:57:38 UTC 2014

Hello *,

I've spent the morning re-jiggering our Phabricator documentation:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator

It now includes:

 - More screenshots!
 - Coverage of core applications, including Owners, and better
coverage of Herald
 - Coverage of the new remarkup syntax
 - Better tips
 - Linking issues in Phabricator to Trac issues

I particularly think people will find 'Owners' very useful, in
combination with Herald. I have already organized a lot of the GHC
source tree into 'Owner packages' and assigned owners. If you're
working on the compiler, please go tweak those and add yourself as an
owner of some part of the compiler!

In particular the last one is the one you'll want to note the most.
When you run `arc diff` now, you can associate a differential revision
with a ticket. Here's the documentation with a nice big screenshot:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Phabricator#Linkingtracticketsandwikisyntax

The TL;DR is when you run `arc diff`, just fill out the new "GHC Trac
Issues" field and it'll be linked. As a bonus, it'll automatically
show up in commit messages, and be hyperlinked in Phabricator
appropriately.

Note: Phabricator does not yet comment on Trac still, sorry. I didn't
get around to it this week.

Please let me know if anything is confusing. I'm sure I need to expand
on stuff; in particular I still need to do another pass, adding some
screenshots for Audit, and some of the "Philosophy of Phabricator" on
how you may want to submit reviews and think about organizing your
work.

Thanks.

--
Regards,