Branch cleanup coming soon - please take inventory

Austin Seipp austin at well-typed.com
Wed Apr 30 13:33:52 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I was talking about this on IRC the other day, and it reminded me I
wanted to do this a while back.

At the moment, we have a *lot* of branches hanging out in the GHC tree:

$ git branch -r | grep origin | wc -l
89
$

So I'd like to start deleting all the old ones that are merged and
don't need to hang around.

A while back I kept a list that was curated of what branches were dead
and could be removed. Here it is:

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ActiveBranches

This page is a bit out of date, but still many of the comments are
accurate, particularly what can already be deleted.

I will likely be *deleting* these merged branches soon unless someone
speaks up. Note that:

  - Anything I cannot be 100% certain is merged will stay.
  - Anything which is effectively 'in-limbo' (like local-gc, or
supercompiler) will stay.

We also have a lot of WIP branches here too. If you all would all take
inventory of your branches and make sure they're catalogued on that
page, it would be really nice. Just add it for now - I'll get rid of
the old entries once I delete them later.

--
Regards,

Austin Seipp, Haskell Consultant