Removing -fext-core

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 28 09:09:04 UTC 2014

In principle I think it's a pity to lose External Core.  It provides an interface to GHC that is based on the simplest possibly connector (a text file), and allows GHC's front end or back end to be used by other systems written in different languages.

However, as you say, it has received no love for many years. I have repeatedly sought someone to support and maintain External Core, but no one has stepped forward.  That doesn't mean that no one is using it!  But the absence of bug reports, given how much it has bit-rotted, is a strong indicator that no one is.

So I'd like hear from our users, but I won't stand in the way of removing it.

Simon