Cloning ghc-7.8

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 11:00:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-24 at 12:38:40 +0200, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> OK.  So are you saying that you can't reliably change to a different
> branch in an existing tree, but rather must freshly clone from the
> source each time you want to check out a different branch?
>
> That seems a bit extreme.  I thought switching branches is precisely
> what git is good at.

In all fairness, you made it sound (e.g. Subject-line) as if you wanted
to know how to *clone* a GHC 7.8 branch rather than switching to the
ghc-7.8 branch... :-)

That said, however: Yes, switching between the 'ghc-7.8' branch and
'master' is currently problematic, because 'ghc-7.8' has a different mix
of submodules and loose subrepos than 'master', and the issue being that
Git isn't aware of that, so Git gets confused here and there, as it
doesn't have all information it needs.

This will get better however, once everything is put under Git's
control. Then switching between 'ghc-7.10' and GHC HEAD should work much
smoother than now between 'ghc-7.8' and GHC HEAD

Hope this makes some sense...