RFC: provide patch-level information at __GLASGOW_HASKELL__

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:38:00 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 09:55, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this has come up various times. So this is mostly an attempt to
> see what the current position is on this topic:
>
> The current scheme is documented as
>
> ,----
> | The value of __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ for a major release x.y.z is the
> | integer xyy (if y is a single digit, then a leading zero is added, so
> | for example in version 6.8.2 of GHC we would have
> | __GLASGOW_HASKELL__==608).
> `----
>
> This has lead to confusion in the past, e.g. the following two values
>
>   __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ == 702
>
>   __GLASGOW_HASKELL__ == 704
>
> were sometimes confused (by me at least) to mean 7.0.2 and 7.0.4
> respectively. And sometimes when writing conditionals, it also happened
> that '__GLASGOW_HASKELL__ >= 722' was written to mean >= 7.2.2.
>
> Moreover, when GHC 7.2.2 came out, it would have been
> useful to be able to discriminate 7.2.1 vs 7.2.2 easily, as some
> SafeHaskell properties changed between 7.2.1 and 7.2.2.

We omitted the patchlevel deliberately, because patchlevel releases of
GHC are not supposed to change any APIs, so there should be no reason
why you would want to distinguish them in the source code.  If we
changed something in SafeHaskell in a patchlevel release, then that was
probably a mistake.

We could add a __GLASGOW_HASKELL_PATCHLEVEL__ macro, but I'd like to
understand more about why people need this, and whether we should be
more careful about what we do in patchlevel releases.