Offering GHC builder build slaves

Páli Gábor János pali.gabor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 08:50:37 UTC 2014

> we also need a culture of just doing stuff, and less asking for it.

Yes, I was educated in the same spirit but in the FreeBSD Project.  I
did not ask much for it when I replicated the whole setup just for
myself last year.

> if you want people to join their builders, tell them what
> information you need from them and add them. Feel free to modify the
> wiki so that people find you. Make up some rules (about usernames etc.)
> as you go, if necessary.

That is good to hear.  First, I had the impression from the previous
discussions that Ian's solution is not proven enough so you want to go
for some other solution.  Second, I do not want to duplicate anybody
else's efforts.  Although I have already stated that I am willing to
let others connect to my server and replied the related mails, but I
felt that the offer was still ignored or lost.

I do not want to be pushy, I do not like stepping on other's toes.
But actually I can if that is what you want -- that is how I did eight
BSD workshops and developer summits in the last four years and
eventually become the secretary of the FreeBSD Core Team.

> Just do it. And tell us about your achievements.

I guess the ghc-builds mailing list speaks for itself.

> Also worry less about official or not. The Travis setup is not official,
> but (IMHO) has been useful quite a few times. I'd _like_ it to be
> official, i.e. hosted on git.haskell.org, but that is not important.

All right, if the rules of game are like that, let it be so...

> If your service becomes "critical" in some sense it is still time to
> move it some official infrastructure... but that can come second, and
> should not hinder anyone from contributing.

Okay, thanks for the clarification!