7.8 Release Update

Kazu Yamamoto ( 山本和彦 ) kazu at iij.ad.jp
Thu Sep 12 03:43:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

Now I understand what is right and why I misunderstood.

- GHC 7.8 provides three kinds of libraries:
     - static libraries
     - dynamic libraries
     - static libraries for profiling
- GHCi uses dynamic libraries.
- Programs complied with GHC 7.8 use static libraries.
- When a library package is complied, both static one and dynamic
  one are created.
- When "-p" or "--enabling-executable-profiling" are specified to
  cabal, static libraries for profiling are also created and used.

So, we don't have to specify "--enable-shared"/"--disable-shared" to
cabal in normal situation.

There is no bug. Just I misunderstood.

* Why did I misunderstand that programs are linked dynamically?

I tried to support GHC 7.8 for doctest. Doctest uses GHCi internally.
At the beginning, doctest cannot pass many tests if "--enable-shared"
is not specified. This was fixed:

	https://github.com/sol/doctest-haskell/issues/58

Now, "--enable-shared" is not necessary even for doctest.

* Why did I misunderstand that compiling programs for profiling fails?

I specified --ghc-options="-prof -fprof-auto". "-prof" lets GHC 7.8
to produce both static and dynamic libraries for profiling. This
resulted in build failure.

Right procedure for profiling are:

% cabal install -p --enable-executable-profiling --ghc-options="-fprof-auto" -j3

or

% cabal install -p --ghc-options="-fprof-auto" --only-dependencies -j3
% cabal configure --enable-executable-profiling
% cabal build

--Kazu