GHC 7.8 release status
simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 5 08:28:00 UTC 2013
Maybe not, but you'll have to move fast.
· Make a branch (Iavor can do that)
· Update the wiki page describing the design: http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GhcKinds/KindsWithoutData
You can demote any design alternatives that you discarded, putting them in an appendix at the end.
· Update documentation in the user manual
· Make sure you have tests in the testsuite
How fast can you do that?
From: Trevor Elliott [mailto:awesomelyawesome at gmail.com]
Sent: 04 September 2013 18:30
To: Iavor Diatchki; Simon Peyton-Jones
Subject: Re: GHC 7.8 release status
We had talked during your Galois visit about the changes that Iavor and I had made to -XDataKinds, allowing different syntax when introducing a new kind. Have we missed the window to make it into the 7.8 release?
On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com<mailto:iavor.diatchki at gmail.com>> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com<mailto:simonpj at microsoft.com>>
Date: Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Subject: GHC 7.8 release status
To: Nicolas Frisby <nicolas.frisby at gmail.com<mailto:nicolas.frisby at gmail.com>>, "Pedro Magalhães (dreixel at gmail.com<mailto:dreixel at gmail.com>)" <dreixel at gmail.com<mailto:dreixel at gmail.com>>, "Richard Eisenberg (eir at cis.upenn.edu<mailto:eir at cis.upenn.edu>)" <eir at cis.upenn.edu<mailto:eir at cis.upenn.edu>>, "Geoffrey Mainland (mainland at cs.drexel.edu<mailto:mainland at cs.drexel.edu>)" <mainland at cs.drexel.edu<mailto:mainland at cs.drexel.edu>>, Iavor Diatchki <iavor.diatchki at gmail.com<mailto:iavor.diatchki at gmail.com>>, Austin Seipp <aseipp at pobox.com<mailto:aseipp at pobox.com>>, Edsko de Vries <edsko at well-typed.com<mailto:edsko at well-typed.com>>, "Ryan Newton (rrnewton at gmail.com<mailto:rrnewton at gmail.com>)" <rrnewton at gmail.com<mailto:rrnewton at gmail.com>>, Luite Stegeman <stegeman at gmail.com<mailto:stegeman at gmail.com>>, Thomas Schilling <nominolo at googlemail.com<mailto:nominolo at googlemail.com>>, David Luposchainsky <dluposchainsky at googlemail.com<mailto:dluposchainsky at googlemail.com>>
Cc: "ghc-devs at haskell.org<mailto:ghc-devs at haskell.org>" <ghc-devs at haskell.org<mailto:ghc-devs at haskell.org>>
The 7.8 release is imminent. This email is to ask abou the status of your contributions. In each case could you update the wiki with the current state of play, and your intentions, including dates. That is, don't put your reply in email: it on the status page below; though by all means send email too!
Summary here: http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/GHC-7.8
Also : What is missing from the list that should be done?
* Patrick Palka: status of ghc -make -j?
* Nick: status of your three items?
* Pedro/Richard: is all the Typeable stuff, and gcast and friends, finished?
* Geoff: what about the new Template Haskell story?
* Iavor: when do you think you can merge?
* Austin: what about ARMv7?
* Edsko/Thomas/Luite: if you want anything for 7.8 it'll have to be jolly soon. At the moment I don't even know the motivation or design, let alone implementation. Could you make a wiki page explaining the proposed design? Is it really important to do this for 7.8?
* Dynamic GHCi. I have no idea who is driving this, or how important it is.
* Ryan: atomic stuff. All merged?
* AMP warnings: David Luposchainsky is driving this.
Microsoft Research Limited (company number 03369488) is registered in England and Wales
Registered office is at 21 Station Road, Cambridge, CB1 2FB
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs