Validate fails: Var/Type length mismatch: [] [s{tv a15I} [tv]]

Ian Lynagh ian at well-typed.com
Fri May 31 17:22:35 CEST 2013

Hi Iavor,

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 07:59:07PM -0700, Iavor Diatchki wrote:

> I don't think that these are related to my change, but I don't really know,
> so I am not going to push the fix just yet.  Could you please advice on how
> to  investigate further?

For ghcpkg01, if you have a testlog from a validate run then you can
search for the test in that. Otherwise you can do
    cd testsuite/tests
    make CLEANUP=1 TEST=ghcpkg01 fast
if you were doing a --fast validate, or
    cd testsuite/tests
    make CLEANUP=1 TEST=ghcpkg01 fast BINDIST=YES
for a normal valdiate, and see how it's failing.

> PS: Is there some sort of a flag I could set in build.mk so that it always
> builds with warnings and core lint?  In some of my GHC trees this seems to
> happen, and in others it does not, and for me it'd be quite helpful if it
> always did.

You can see what settings validate uses in mk/validate-settings.mk, and
copy any that you want into mk/build.mk.

In particular, these add lint flags:
    GhcStage2HcOpts += -O -dcore-lint
    GhcLibHcOpts    += -O -dcore-lint

Thanks