How accessible is a dynamically-linked ghc?

Austin Seipp aseipp at pobox.com
Thu Jul 11 18:20:49 CEST 2013

Theoretically, ARM supports stage2 with the home-grown linker and a
statically linked GHC, but last I understood, it can't build
dynamically. That's because building the compiler with LLVM
dynamically is unsupported, and ARM can only use the LLVM backend.

There may be hope though; in commit a4212524, Peter Wortmann hints
that LLVM may be able to dynamically link correctly now. I haven't
tested it since the LLVM backend rewrite was merged in (and I should
really get around to this.)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Nicolas Frisby
<nicolas.frisby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am Mittwoch, den 10.07.2013, 14:42 -0500 schrieb Nicolas Frisby:
>> >   2) Are the major GHC distributors planning on distributing
>> > dynamically-linked ghc by default? GHC HQ, Haskell Platform,
>> > http://www.haskell.org/ghc/distribution_packages?
>>

>> You are talking about the GHC binary itself, not about how GHC compiles
>> the libraries and programs, right? For the latter case, answers for
>> Debian (and Ubuntu) can be found in
>>
>> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2012-November/023093.html
>> and I’m happy to elaborate. In the former case: *shrug* – should we?
>

> Yes, I was talking about the GHC binary itself. Even so, that is a very rich
> thread; thanks for the pointer.
>
> I was asking for various reasons. I'm not casting a vote either way.
>
> Thanks.

Regards,
Austin - PGP: 4096R/0x91384671