status of template haskell + cross compiling plans for 7.8?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 4 09:48:02 CEST 2013

Luite

Via HWN I read your GHCJS post<http://weblog.luite.com/wordpress/?p=14&date=2013-06-03> this morning.   Great work.

It's silly that you should need to patch GHC.  One alternative is to absorb your patch<https://github.com/ghcjs/ghcjs.github.com/blob/master/patches/ghc-ghcjs.patch>, or a successor.  I think it mostly just extends the FFI and target types with new cases.  The patch doesn't actually include any JS generation, so I'm far from sure how that happens.

But it would be even better to make it easier to people to add new backends without modifying GHC, via some kind of plugin interface.

I'm underwater with POPL right now, but do discuss on ghc-devs any details that would help you.

Simon