[GHC] #1614: Type checker does not use functional dependency to avoid ambiguity

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 27 16:03:46 CET 2013

Please do endanger the code base!  GHC needs people willing to have a go.

* We try to review offered patches promptly (yell if this does not happen)

* Worth discussing the general approach before investing a lot of time;
   the more substantial the change/fix the more discussion!

Simon

|  > |
|  > |
|  > |  Hi Simon;
|  > |
|  > |  "Bump" is a cutesy internet name for this kind of bubbling something up to
|  the
|  > |  top of the dev list.
|  > |
|  > |      "Please have another look at this ticket; here's what I see (or not), maybe
|  we
|  > |  can get rid of it."
|  > |
|  > |  In this case, it's also means that the commit is result of my ongoing attempt
|  > |  revivify the bug sweep. So folks should feel free to ignore.
|  > |
|  > |  (Also, do let me know if this is counter to GHC conventions, and I'll adapt
|  > |  accordingly.)
|  > |
|  > |  Cheers,
|  > |
|  > |  Andy
|  > |
|  > |  On Jan 26, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
|  > |  wrote:
|  > |
|  > |  > Morabbin, what's the semantics of "bump"?   I don't know what you intend
|  by
|  > |  it!
|  > |  >
|  > |  > Simon
|  > |  >
|  > |  > |
|  > |  > |  #1614: Type checker does not use functional dependency to avoid
|  ambiguity
|  > |  > |  --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
|  > |  > |    Reporter:  guest                    |          Owner:
|  > |  > |        Type:  bug                      |         Status:  new
|  > |  > |    Priority:  normal                   |      Milestone:  _|_
|  > |  > |   Component:  Compiler (Type checker)  |        Version:  6.7
|  > |  > |  Resolution:                           |       Keywords:
|  > |  > |          Os:  Unknown/Multiple         |   Architecture:  Unknown/Multiple
|  > |  > |     Failure:  None/Unknown             |     Difficulty:  Unknown
|  > |  > |    Testcase:                           |      Blockedby:
|  > |  > |    Blocking:                           |        Related:
|  > |  > |  --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
|  > |  > |  Changes (by morabbin):
|  > |  > |
|  > |  > |    * failure:  => None/Unknown
|  > |  > |
|  > |  > |
|  > |  > |  Comment:
|  > |  > |
|  > |  > |   Bump; chak saya this was fixed in HEAD, and then SPJ closes as
|  wontfix?
|  > |  > |   Was the fix backed out?
|  > |  > |  Ticket URL:
|  <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1614#comment:11>