[GHC] #1614: Type checker does not use functional dependency to avoid ambiguity

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Sun Jan 27 01:11:43 CET 2013

Ah, so the mysterious and highly-active morabbin is none other than our old friend and drinking companion Andy Adams-Moran!  Welcome Andy! Thanks for looking through these old tickets.

|  "Bump" is a cutesy internet name for this kind of bubbling something up to the
|  top of the dev list. Please have another look at this ticket; here's what
| I see (or not), maybe we can get rid of it."

The trouble is that there aren't enough of these GHC devs to deal with the hundreds of open tickets, bumped or not.  When adding to a long-existing ticket, there are really three modes of operation

* This ticket is mission-critical to me; here's why; please please help.

* Here is some new information. Eg. I tripped over this myself; here is the repro case; or I think I may have an idea what's going on.

* I'm going to have ago at fixing this.  Here's how I propose to do it.  Please yell if I'm going awry here.

But your "bump" seems to mean "I've looked at this and it still seems to be open", and I don't know what to do about that.  I'd love to have them *all* attended to, but we need a lot more people to help if we are to achieve that.

To simply indicate interest, the protocol is to add yourself to the cc list.  Long cc lists get more attention. Well some more attention!  http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/BugTracker

Simon

|  > |
|  > |  #1614: Type checker does not use functional dependency to avoid ambiguity
|  > |  --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
|  > |    Reporter:  guest                    |          Owner:
|  > |        Type:  bug                      |         Status:  new
|  > |    Priority:  normal                   |      Milestone:  _|_
|  > |   Component:  Compiler (Type checker)  |        Version:  6.7
|  > |  Resolution:                           |       Keywords:
|  > |          Os:  Unknown/Multiple         |   Architecture:  Unknown/Multiple
|  > |     Failure:  None/Unknown             |     Difficulty:  Unknown
|  > |    Testcase:                           |      Blockedby:
|  > |    Blocking:                           |        Related:
|  > |  --------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
|  > |  Changes (by morabbin):
|  > |
|  > |    * failure:  => None/Unknown
|  > |
|  > |
|  > |  Comment:
|  > |
|  > |   Bump; chak saya this was fixed in HEAD, and then SPJ closes as wontfix?
|  > |   Was the fix backed out?
|  > |
|  > |  --
|  > |  Ticket URL: <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1614#comment:11>