GHC 7.8 release?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:06:12 CET 2013

I agree too - I think it would be great to have non-API-breaking
releases with new features.  So let's think about how that could work.

Some features add APIs, e.g. SIMD adds new primops.  So we have to
define non-API-breaking as a minor version bump in the PVP sense; that
is, you can add to an API but not change it.

As a straw man, let's suppose we want to do annual API releases in
September, with intermediate non-API releases in February.  Both would
be classed as "major", and bump the GHC major version, but the Feb
releases would only be allowed to bump minor versions of packages.
(except perhaps the version of the GHC package, which is impossible to
keep stable if we change the compiler).

So how to manage the repos.  We could have three branches, but that
doesn't seem practical.  Probably the best way forward is to develop new
features on separate branches and merge them into master at the
appropriate time - i.e. API-breaking feature branches could only be
merged in after the Feb release.

Thoughts?