simd branch ready for review

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 10:06:40 CET 2013

On 05/02/13 00:36, Geoffrey Mainland wrote:
> On 02/04/2013 11:56 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at apeiron.net> wrote:
>>
>> What would a sensible fallback be for AVX instructions? What should we
>> fall back on when the LLVM backend is not being used?
>>
>> Depends on the instruction. A 256-bit multiply could be replaced by N
>> multiplies etc. For popcount we have a little bit of C code in
>> ghc-prim that we use if SSE 4.2 isn't enabled. An alternative is to
>> emit some different assembly in e.g. the x86-64 backend if AVX isn't
>> enabled.
>>
>> Maybe we could desugar AVX instructions to SSE instructions on platforms
>> that support SSE but not AVX, but in practice people would then #ifdef
>> anyway and just use SSE if AVX weren't available.
>>
>> I don't follow here. If you conditionally emitted different
>> instructions in the backends depending on which -m flags are passed to
>> GHC, why would people #ifdef?
>
> I think you are suggesting that the user should always use 256-bit
> short-vector instructions, and that on platforms where AVX is not
> available, this would fall back to an implementation that performed
> multiple SSE instructions for each 256-bit vector instruction---and used
> multiple XMM registers to hold each 256-bit vector value (or spilled).
>
> Anyone using low-level primops should only do so if they really want
> low-level control. The most efficient SSE implementation of a function
> is not going to be whatever implementation falls out of a desugaring of
> generic 256-bit short-vector primitives. Therefore, I suspect that
> anyone using low-level vector primops like this will #ifdef and provide
> two implementations---one for SSE, one for AVX. Anyone who doesn't care
> about this level of detail should use a higher-level interface---which
> we have already implemented---and which does not require any
> ifdefs. People will #ifdef because they can provide better SSE
> implementations than GHC when AVX instructions are not available.
>
> I am suggesting that we push the "ifdefs" into a library. The vast
> majority of programmers will never see the ifdefs, because they will use
> the library.
>
> I think you are suggesting that we push the "ifdefs" into GHC. That way
> nobody will have a choice---they get whatever desugaring GHC gives them.
>
> I understand your point of view---having primops that don't work
> everywhere is a real pain and aesthetically unpleasing---but I prefer
> exposing more low-level details in our primops even if it means a bit of
> unpleasantness once in a while. This does mean a tiny segment of
> programmers will have to deal with ifdefs, but I suspect that this tiny
> segment of programmers would prefer ifdefs to a lack of control.
>
> If a population count operation translates to a few extra instructions,
> I don't think anyone will care. If a body of code performing
> short-vector operations desugars to twice as many instructions that
> [...]

While I agree with Geoff, there's one thing we have to be careful about:
inlining.  If the primop is exposed via an inline definition, then
either we have to check and disable the inlining if the primop is not
available in the current compilation, or else prevent the inlining from
being visible in the first place.

I believe this is what Johan had in mind when he gave popcount a
fallback.  Geoff, maybe you've thought about this already - what's the
plan for the vector library?