simd branch ready for review

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at
Mon Feb 4 23:12:35 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Geoffrey Mainland <mainland at>wrote:

> I'd like to figure out how to properly support having the set of
> available primops depend on the dynamic flags before adding too much
> more. I'll be speaking to Simon PJ about it tomorrow.

Could we use a fallback, like we did for e.g. popcount? I don't think have
conditionally defined primops is a good idea. How would you use them in
programs? You'd have to do something like:

#ifdef ???
-- use primops
-- use fallback

and everyone would write their own fallback. It would be better if GHC fell
back to some generic implementation.

-- Johan