Repository Reorganization Question

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:26:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org> wrote:

> On 2013-12-06 at 13:50:55 +0100, Johan Tibell wrote:
> > Whichever way to go, we should write down the options and consequences
> and
> > communicating them widely enough so no core devs get surprised.
> >
> > Commit IDs for the test suite are referenced in e.g. various Trac issues,
> > on mailing lists (although rarely), and perhaps even in code.
>
> ...as I hinted at in an earlier post, the old commit-ids will still
> allow to find the original commit; for isntance, there's already the
> find-commit-by-sha1 service at
>
>   http://git.haskell.org/.findhash/<commit-sha1-prefix>
>
> which searches all repos hosted at git.haskell.org for the given sha1
> prefix; there's also a convenient text-entry field at
> http://git.haskell.org/ which allows you to copy'n'paste any commit-ids
> you might come across in emails, irc logs, trac comments or even commit
> messages...
>
> ...does this lookup-service alleviate your concerns?

Personally I think it's still much friction; another thing to remember. Is
it really worth it for a couple of megs of bandwidth* and some disk space?

If it really is I believe git has some facility for nuking the data of old
commits. That facility exists for the case when someone committed something
sensitive to the code base that should never have been there.

* GitHub's bandwidth if you use that mirror.

-- Johan