Repository Reorganization Question

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Dec 6 15:43:46 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-06 at 13:50:55 +0100, Johan Tibell wrote:
> Whichever way to go, we should write down the options and consequences and
> communicating them widely enough so no core devs get surprised.
>
> Commit IDs for the test suite are referenced in e.g. various Trac issues,
> on mailing lists (although rarely), and perhaps even in code.

...as I hinted at in an earlier post, the old commit-ids will still
allow to find the original commit; for isntance, there's already the
find-commit-by-sha1 service at

  http://git.haskell.org/.findhash/<commit-sha1-prefix>

which searches all repos hosted at git.haskell.org for the given sha1
prefix; there's also a convenient text-entry field at
http://git.haskell.org/ which allows you to copy'n'paste any commit-ids
you might come across in emails, irc logs, trac comments or even commit
messages...

...does this lookup-service alleviate your concerns?

Cheers,
  hvr