DNS entry for git.haskell.org active now!

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Aug 20 09:45:47 CEST 2013

Hello Simon,

On 2013-08-20 at 08:48:26 +0200, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Thanks.  Some quick questions
>
> 1. What's the difference between ghc.haskell.org and git.haskell.org?

ghc.haskell.org *currently* points to the same IP address as
git.haskell.org, so it makes only a difference for services which use
the hostname to differentiate the namespace. This is currently only done
for the http:// protocol. For git:// and ssh:// it doesn't make any
significant difference (currently).

However, in order to facilitate future migrations, git.haskell.org
should be used, as then we could relocate git.haskell.org to a different
IP without needing to update the URLs in all documents again.

> 2. Is there anything to choose between these two?
>   ./sync-all -r     git://git.haskell.org remote set-url origin
>   ./sync-all -r    http://git.haskell.org remote set-url origin

git:// uses port 9418 which may sometimes may be blocked by
firewalls. Otoh, plain http:// gets through corporate firewalls more
easily. (At some point we might even offer https:// if we get SSL certs)

git:// is slightly faster than http:// as it doesn't incur the
HTTP-protocol overhead & processing latency. It's basically the raw
"Git" protocol over a plain TCP connection.

http:// currently uses the same Apache process as is used for serving
http://darcs.haskell.org and http://ghc.haskell.org; so if Apache
becomes non-responsive or dies, so does the http://git.haskell.org
service.  The ssh:// and git:// services however, being independent
processes, would continue to work (if only Apache was affected).

Also, git:// is currently set up in such a way, that it gets restarted
automatically if the git-daemon process dies. So git:// is the
high-availability option here.

Does this answer your question? :-)

> 3. The repositories page
> http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/WorkingConventions/Repositories
> says "this page has been replaced by "Repositories" but the link is
> circular.. leads to the same page.
>
> 4. The Gitolite plan page
> http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/GitolitePlan is very helpful, but
> is in the nature of a "delta"/change-over plan.  Are you planning to
> replace it (perhaps on "Repositories"?) with instructions for how to
> use the new setup?  I think that would be v helpful for dolts like me.

Yes, we're planning/going to update the Trac documentation to provide
more help understanding the new setup.

Cheers,
  hvr