Previous commit ticket ref syntax restored (was: New Git-commit-message -> Trac-ticket interaction)

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Thu Aug 15 15:36:11 CEST 2013

Hello Simon,

On 2013-08-15 at 04:26:38 +0200, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> My gut feel is that it's fragile and unexpected to have tickets change
> status based on commit messages. Revisiting the ticket itself can
> remind you
>   that the fix is only partial, or
>   that there is another related ticket to look at, or
>   that you need to add a regression test, or
>   something else
>
> Too much automation can be confusing.  I'd suggest (fairly strongly --
> but resist if you feel otherwise) making status changes only based on
> explicit user actions.  It doesn't take long to do!

Well, I'm somewhat convinced (and I don't have a solution to offer
addressing your concerns at the moment).

Moreover, as it's easier right now to just configure more or less what the previous
semantics were and post-pone devising a more elaborate ticket/commit action
command system, I've reconfigured the Trac instance as follows:

 - As soon as a ticket-reference matching the regexp '#[0-9]+' occurs in
   a commit's message (which became newly reachable from the `master`
   branch with the current `git push` operation), the commit is added as
   a comment to the referenced ticket.

 - Aside from adding comments to a ticket, no other actions are
   triggered by Git commit messages.

Is this acceptable?

Cheers,
  hvr