[GHC DevOps Group] Phacility -> Reviewable [was: Re: State of CI]

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:35:45 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 10:18 AM Manuel M T Chakravarty
<manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> wrote:
> Overall, the future of Phacility seems much more unpredictable to me than the future of GitHub. After all, Phacility just literally demonstrated that they are happy to change the terms mid-flight. Hence, it appears prudent to move away from Phacility (which is all I am proposing).

The existing code of Phabricator is open sourced under an Apache
licence afaik; so the big difference here is that if Phacility pulled
the nuclear option by changing their mind and going closed-source
wouldn't affect the code they already open-sourced; whereas if GitHub
decides to change policies or shutdown services, you are instantly
affected. Hence, it appears even more prudent to *short-term* refrain
from moving more towards GitHub at this point, and possibly start
looking for other options mid-term.