[GHC DevOps Group] Phacility -> Reviewable [was: Re: State of CI]

Manuel M T Chakravarty manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io
Wed Jun 6 08:18:24 UTC 2018

I appreciate your analysis of the VC funding model for building companies. However, rather than looking at generalities, I think, it makes more sense to look at specifics — for example that Microsoft has acquired Xamarin and HockeyApp a while ago and that both of these companies did offer a combination of free and paid services, just like GitHub. (I do use HockeyApp for Haskell for Mac btw.)

With these companies, Microsoft has actually done exactly what they announced they will do with GitHub. Microsoft derives value from the integration of these services into their core products and from being able to sell services on top. There is no need for GitHub the service to pay the bills by pure GitHub subscriptions and pure GitHub enterprise deployments. (Nobody would expect, say, Apple’s Swift team to pay their own bills.)

Overall, the future of Phacility seems much more unpredictable to me than the future of GitHub. After all, Phacility just literally demonstrated that they are happy to change the terms mid-flight. Hence, it appears prudent to move away from Phacility (which is all I am proposing).

Cheers,
Manuel