[GHC DevOps Group] State of CI

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Tue Jun 5 16:30:26 UTC 2018

Manuel M T Chakravarty <manuel.chakravarty at tweag.io> writes:

> Hi Ben,

Hi Manuel,

> I just wanted to touch base regarding the state of the GHC CI effort.
>
> As far as I am aware, we have CI running on both CircleCI and Appveyor
> (with Google generously donating the build machines). Is that right?

That is right. Alp and I have been steadily chipping away at the
remaining build issues but otherwise things seem to be working well.

> Do these builds also generate complete build artefacts by now? (We
> wanted to eventually generate everything including documentation
> automatically.)
>

> If I am not mistaken, we still can’t run CircleCI on Phab Diffs.
> Moreover, there was some noise that Phabricator might be changing
> their business model, which might make it less attractive for GHC (but
> I am not sure about the details). Is that correct?

That is correct. Phacility is moving to an explicitly pay-to-play model;
the source is available, but they aren't accepting patches and opening
tickets requires a support contract. This isn't the end of the world for
us, but it certainly makes Phabricator less attractive in the long-run.
However, given the recent GitHub news, I'm not sure this is a terribly
attractive option either.

All of this certainly complicates the CI story. On one hand, I've been
a tad reluctant to spend too much time hacking Phabricator/CircleCI
integration together given the Phabricator situation. On the other hand,
CircleCI and Appveyor both only support GitHub, so a move to, for
instance, GitLab doesn't really unblock us.

For the time being I would say we should probably continue pushing ahead
with Phabricator. It likely won't be too hard to get something working
and it will finally allow us to begin moving away from Harbormaster.

Cheers,

- Ben