[Hs-Generics] Owning SYB

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 28 12:46:37 EDT 2008

Dear Generic folk

[I'm spamming libraries at haskell.org too, in case anyone interested in generics is not on generics at haskell.org.]

As you know, Claus has offered a somewhat-detailed proposal for changes to the SYB library (below).  But I don't think that we have an active maintainer for any of the generic-programming libraries (esp SYB) apart from Uniplate.  Then there's the related question of what generic-programming technology to promote for clients of the GHC API.

The obvious candidates are Claus himself, or Alexey Rodriguez, or Thomas Schilling; but perhaps there are others too?  Maybe no one has stepped forward because you all think that I'm on the job!  But I'm not... I'm busy with GHC itself, and would love a maintainer for SYB and associated gubbins.  I fear that otherwise we may lose the benefits of Claus's homework.

Simon

[...rest snipped...]