[Hs-Generics] darcs repo

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Oct 9 14:48:45 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

As discussed, I set up a darcs repository on haskell.org for us to put
example code in.  Anybody can obtain it by executing

  darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/generics

or if you have an existing account for the CVS/darcs repos at
haskell.org, you can alternatively use

  darcs get darcs.haskell.org:/home/darcs/generics

I have set up push messages to go to this list.  We'll see whether that
works in a moment when I push the LIGD code that was posted by James and
Johan.  There is also a README file with some comments re the directory
structure of the repository.

Darcs
~~~~~
If you are new to darcs, check out <http://darcs.net/>, where you can
find binaries to download for a wide variety of architectures, a manual,
and a wiki with lots of additional information.  (For Fedora Core users,
just execute "yum install darcs" as root - darcs is in Fedora Extras.)

License
~~~~~~~
When looking at the source code, I noticed that it does not have any
licencing information.  If we want to develop a library that we expect
end users to build applications with, it is absolutely crucial to
properly licence the code.  In particular, we must be very careful to
not use any code from libraries that do not have an explicit licence (or
a license that conflicts with whatever license terms we want for our end
product).  In addition, anybody who contributes patches needs to do that
under the agreement that his or her code may be released under the
licencing terms of the library that we develop.

As we want to develop a sort of standard, I strongly suggest to use the
New BSD Licence <http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php>, which
is what GHC uses, too.  It's called BSD3 in Cabal
<http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/Cabal/Distribution-License.html#v%3ABSD3>.

James, Johan, Ralf, would you mind to put your LIGD code under this
license?  If you agree, please just put a file called LICENSE with the
license text (copy from above URL) into the LIGD/ and LIGD.examples/
directories in the darcs repo.

Manuel