[Freebsd-haskell] Cabal Ports Reworked & Committed

Ashish SHUKLA wahjava.ml at gmail.com
Fri May 14 01:04:56 EDT 2010

Gabor PALI writes:
> Hello,

> On 05/13/10 18:07, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>> And also aren't you going to put hsporter on hackage ? And then have
>> it as a port. IIRC, hsporter worked fine with no issues.

> Yes, I am planning to publish it as a hackage.  But it still has
> problems with proper Makefile generation (and lacks documentation, there
> is no error handling), I want to fix them up first.

Okay, fine.

>> You mean per-user "ports" branch, or just single "ports" branch ?

> I thought of a single "ports" branch, but I think git does not restrict
> you, so you can have more (even personal) branches :)  In my proposed
> system, the "ports" branch would serve as a basis for building packages
> and committing to the FreeBSD ports tree.

Do you see this *single "ports" branch* really working in practise ? I mean,
what if you and me tried to push commits affecting common files ? With any
effort trying to resolve that conflict, would be waste of time, esp. if both
commits are just about updating ports.  We will need good communication to
avoid such issues. And since we're not able to even successfully arrange an
IRC meeting, I don't think this approach will be feasible.

On the other hand, with per user branches, it is your area, do what you wanted
to do, without effecting anyone else. And merging from the master and other
users branches, whenever you need it.

To keep others informed about one's progress, we can create a post-update (or
whatever the correct name would be) hook in the repository, which mails your
pushes to the list. And also a public mirror of the repository kept in-sync
(via post-update hooks) would be nice for casual contributors who can do
anonymous clones, and it also provides functionality to view other branches
without checking out them.

And also when filing PRs, making sure to keep list in the loop would be nice
idea to inform about the updates.

And also it would be nice if we can discuss all of these issues over IRC
sometime.

Ashish
--
Sent via Gnus from GNU Emacs

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  -- Benjamin Franklin, Memoirs of the life and writings of Benjamin Franklin