[Freebsd-haskell] Howto deal with Cabal dependencies?

david fries djf at gmx.ch
Sun Feb 7 10:32:54 EST 2010

First of all, I have to say I'm glad this list is not completely dead :)

> Which package is that?  If you name it, maybe we can help you in working
> around the problem.  I think the distinction between the old and new
> versions of the network and time modules is to support different GHC
> versions.  GHC 6.10.4 includes network 2.2.1.2 and time 1.1.4 by
> default, so I would not care about that dependency in the port.

I'm working on a port of Haskell-Platform. I has the following
dependencies:

GLUT ==2.1.1.2,
HTTP ==4000.0.6,
OpenGL ==2.2.1.1,
cgi ==3001.1.7.1,
editline ==0.2.1.0, << I'm struggling with that a bit
fgl ==5.4.2.2,
network ==2.2.1.4,  << I'm going to submit that (version 2.2.1.7)
time ==1.1.2.4,     << I'm going to submit that (version 1.1.4)
zlib ==0.5.0.0

It also has dependencies to Cabal 1.6.x which I've submitted last week
together with cabal-install. I'm porting the three remaining modules.
All others are already available in the ports. Although some of them are
newer versions.
The Haskell guys have adopted a versioning policy a while ago
(http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy) however,
not all ports follow it (e.g. HTTP). I'm a bit worried that they won't
all work together - especially if the major version doesn't match.

P.S. I'm gonna be off for the next three weeks, so don't be surprised if
I don't respond during that time.