[Freebsd-haskell] Howto deal with Cabal dependencies?

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 6 18:14:49 EST 2010

Hello dave,

On 02/03/10 23:03, david fries wrote:
> As you probably know Cabal packages sometimes have some very complicated
> dependencies including dependencies to older versions of a library or
> module. What's the best way to deal with this from the perspective of
> FreeBSD's ports? Can we have different versions of a port in the
> portstree so that a you can specify a suitable version in the *DEPENDS?

The "policy" for FreeBSD Haskell ports is very simple at the moment: no
multiple versions, always use the latest available version in the tree,
all ports are tuned to the currently supported GHC version (6.10.4).  It
is not the most elegant approach, but that is what we have now.  We have
just started to add more ports :)

> I'm working on such a Cabal package at the moment. It has dependencies
> to an old version of the network and time module, respectively.

Which package is that?  If you name it, maybe we can help you in working
around the problem.  I think the distinction between the old and new
versions of the network and time modules is to support different GHC
versions.  GHC 6.10.4 includes network 2.2.1.2 and time 1.1.4 by
default, so I would not care about that dependency in the port.

Cheers,
:g