[Freebsd-haskell] Comments on use of bsd.haskell.mk

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 2 08:28:44 EST 2009

Hi,

>> Hm, your results seem to be promising!  However, I would recommend
>> you to use the D_NAME and D_NAME-VER plist_subs where applicable
>> for the easier maintenance.
>
> I didn't get what you're trying to say. If you're talking about
> following line, then yes I should have used a variable there like
> %%D_LIBDIR_REL%%.
>
>> @dirrm lib/utf8-string-0.3.4

Oh, sorry.  I was thinking of the following (demonstrated by examples):

%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/HSutf8-string-0.3.4.o ->
%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/HS%%D_NAME-VER%%.o

%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/libHSutf8-string-0.3.4.a ->
%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/libHS%%D_NAME-VER%%.a

%%PROFILE%%%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/libHSutf8-string-0.3.4_p.a
%%PROFILE%%%%D_LIBSUBDIR_REL%%/libHS%%D_NAME-VER%%_p.a ->

But they are just minor nits :)

> [..] is that even predictable prior to installation what files are
> going to be installed ?

In my opinion, yes.  I observed that files to be installed are usually
placed in the ${WRKSRC}/dist/build directory.  Of course, object files
(*.o, but not in the root! -- eg. HSutf8-string-0.3.4.o) and the
"autogen" directory should be omitted.

By the way, there is another method for automatically generating packing
lists, mentioned in the Porter's Handbook [1].  It is universal, but a
bit complicated for me.

> Although as of now documentation generated by the port is
> automatically tracked by bsd.haskell.mk. So no need to explicitly
> mention it in the pkg-plist.

Yes, and it is very nice.  When I started to "improve PORTDOCS" in my
recent port updates, I did almost the same: ports Makefiles have a
clever machinery to automatically generating packing lists for
PORT{DOCS,DATA,EXAMPLES}. [2]

>> HSCOLOUR_VERSION?= `HsColour -version | cut -d ' ' -f2-`
>
>> I am not sure whether it is a right thing, but it helped.
>
> There is a patch already present on that PR[2] which updates
> bsd.haskell.mk.

Ooops :)

Cheers,
:g