H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 10

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun May 25 23:35:12 EDT 2003

"Simon Peyton-Jones" <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote,

> The bound-threads story interacts with the FFI -- indeed, it's in a
> document in Haskell-report/ffi/threads.tex.  Do we ultimately plan to
> fold it into the FFI spec (but, awkwardly, it must speak of
> concurrency)? Or do we ultimately plan to have a separate "blessed
> appendix" on concurrency generally?  And if the latter, who would like
> to edit it?  Manuel has done a great job with the FFI spec; I doubt
> concurrency will be half as hard.

My vote is for leaving concurrency to a further addendum.
This is not only because I am worried that including
concurrency would delay the wrapping up of the FFI spec
considerably, but because we so far have seperated FFI and
concurrency (eg, in the finalizers story).  Moreover, I
think concurrency is very important in its own right and
there should be a comprehensive standard covering its
various aspects.  Finally, while I doubt that we will ever
have a system that implements concurrency, but lacks the
FFI, it is reasonable to assume systems that support the FFI
only.