H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 10

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri May 23 03:41:57 EDT 2003

The bound-threads story interacts with the FFI -- indeed, it's in a
document in Haskell-report/ffi/threads.tex.  Do we ultimately plan to
fold it into the FFI spec (but, awkwardly, it must speak of
concurrency)? Or do we ultimately plan to have a separate "blessed
appendix" on concurrency generally?  And if the latter, who would like
to edit it?  Manuel has done a great job with the FFI spec; I doubt
concurrency will be half as hard.

Simon

Behalf Of Manuel M T
| Chakravarty
| Sent: 22 May 2003 22:33
| To: haskell at haskell.org
| Subject: ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 10
|
| Dear Haskell Folks,
|
| Release Candidate 10 of the H98 FFI Addendum 1.0 is now
| available from
|
|   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ffi/
|
| The change log since RC 7, which was the last version
| circulated via haskell at haskell.org, is appended below.
|
| Please review this specification carefully.  If no
| suggestion that leads to a serious change is made within two
| weeks, I will freeze version 1.0.
|
| Thanks,
| Manuel
|
| -=-
|
| Changes since RC9:
| * 1:     Mentioning interaction with foreign threads as an open
problem.
| * 2 & 3: Removed `threadsafe' again, as the proposal for thread
support is
|          still evolving and it is not yet clear whether a new safety
level
|          is required.
| * 5.5:   Added the type synonym `FinalizerPtr' and rewrite the
documentation
|          of finalizers.
| * 5.6:   Clarified the description of `StablePtr'
| * 5.8:   Added `finalizerFree'
| * 6.2:   All the types in CTypes must be newtypes that are exported
|          abstractly.
|
| Changes since RC8:
| * 5.8: `MarshallAlloc.reallocBytes' is no longer permitted on memory
|        allocated with `alloca' or `allocaBytes'.
| * 6.1: Deinitialisation of the RTS via `hs_exit()' followed by
|        (re)initialisation with `hs_init()' must be supported.
|
| Changes since RC7:
| * Clarified the lexis of C identifiers and C header file names
| * In `ForeignPtr', added `mallocForeignPtrArray' and
`mallocForeignPtrArray0'