ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 9

Alastair Reid alastair at reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Wed May 21 10:03:58 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 1:53 pm, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
> RC 9 of the FFI Addendum is now at
>
>   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ffi/
>
> The addendum seems to be stable and I like to close Version
> 1.0.

Excellent news.

Thanks for all your work on this - I think we ended up with a good design!

> There is only one open question: What to do about
> "threadsafe"?  In the threads discussion, there seemed to be
> a tendency to not distinguish between "threadsafe" and
> "safe" after all.  Shall we remove "threadsafe" from 1.0?
> That's what I tend to and will do unless there are strong
> arguments to retain "threadsafe".

I think it should be removed but there should be a section near the start of
the document which lists open issues which would include:

- bindings for other languages
- issues involving threads (i.e., whatever it is that threadsafe was intended
to solve).

--
Alastair Reid