ANN: H98 FFI Addendum 1.0, Release Candidate 9

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed May 21 08:53:44 EDT 2003

RC 9 of the FFI Addendum is now at

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/haskell/ffi/

The addendum seems to be stable and I like to close Version
1.0.

There is only one open question: What to do about
"threadsafe"?  In the threads discussion, there seemed to be
a tendency to not distinguish between "threadsafe" and
"safe" after all.  Shall we remove "threadsafe" from 1.0?
That's what I tend to and will do unless there are strong
arguments to retain "threadsafe".

-=- Changes since RC 8

* 5.8: `MarshallAlloc.reallocBytes' is no longer permitted on memory
       allocated with `alloca' or `allocaBytes'.
* 6.1: Deinitialisation of the RTS via `hs_exit()' followed by
       (re)initialisation with `hs_init()' must be supported.